Wicker can be a good material for outdoor furniture, but its suitability depends on several factors, such as the type of wicker, the climate of the area, and how well the furniture is maintained.
Wicker is a durable material made from weaving plant-based fibers such as rattan, bamboo, or reed. However, not all types of wicker are suitable for outdoor use. Synthetic wicker made from materials such as resin or plastic is typically more weather-resistant and durable than natural wicker.
If you live in a climate with a lot of moisture or harsh weather conditions, choosing outdoor wicker furniture specifically designed to withstand these elements is important. You may also want to consider storing your wicker furniture indoors or using protective covers during inclement weather.
Proper maintenance is also important for ensuring the longevity of wicker outdoor furniture. Regularly cleaning and treating the wicker with a protective sealant can help prevent moisture and UV exposure damage.
How Long Does Wicker Furniture Last Outdoors
The lifespan of wicker furniture can vary depending on several factors, such as the quality of the materials, the construction, and the care and maintenance it receives. Outdoor wicker furniture can last between 3 and 10 years with proper care and maintenance.
Natural wicker furniture made from materials such as rattan, bamboo, or reed is more susceptible to weather damage. It may have a shorter lifespan than synthetic wicker made from materials such as resin or plastic. Synthetic wicker is typically more durable and resistant to moisture, UV exposure, and other outdoor elements.
The quality of construction can also impact the lifespan of outdoor wicker furniture. Well-constructed pieces with sturdy frames and tightly woven fibers are less likely to break or become damaged over time.
Proper care and maintenance are also critical to the longevity of wicker furniture. Regular cleaning and protective treatments can help prevent moisture damage and UV exposure, which can cause fading, cracking, and warping.
Storing wicker furniture indoors or using protective covers during inclement weather can also help extend its lifespan.
How Do You Make Wicker Furniture Last Longer Outdoors
To make wicker furniture last longer outdoors, there are several things you can do:
- Choose high-quality wicker furniture: Select outdoor wicker furniture made of durable materials and constructed with tight weaving to ensure stability and durability.
- Use protective covers: Cover the furniture with weather-resistant covers when not in use or during inclement weather to protect it from the sun, rain, wind, and other weather elements.
- Keep it clean: Regularly clean the furniture with a soft brush and a mild soap solution to remove dirt, dust, and debris. Rinse thoroughly with water and allow it to air dry completely before use.
- Protect it from the sun: Wicker furniture can fade and become brittle due to prolonged sun exposure. Keep it in shaded areas or use outdoor umbrellas or awnings to provide shade.
- Apply protective treatments: Apply a protective sealant or UV-resistant coating to the furniture to help prevent moisture damage, fading, and cracking.
- Store it properly: If possible, store the wicker furniture indoors during winter or extreme weather conditions to prevent damage.
By following these tips, you can help extend the lifespan of your wicker furniture and ensure it remains beautiful and functional for years to come.