Outdoor patio heaters are a popular choice for homeowners and restaurant owners who want to extend the outdoor season by keeping their patio or seating areas warm and comfortable. If you’re considering purchasing an outdoor patio heater, one of the first questions you may have is, “How much do they cost?”
The cost of outdoor patio heaters can vary widely, depending on a few factors. I look closely at these factors and provide some estimated price ranges for outdoor patio heaters.
Types of Outdoor Patio Heaters
There are several types of outdoor patio heaters to choose from, each with its own advantages and price point. Here are some of the most popular types of outdoor patio heaters:
- Propane patio heaters are popular for those who want a portable heating option. They are powered by propane gas, which is stored in a tank. Propane patio heaters typically have a heat output of between 10,000 and 40,000 BTUs (British Thermal Units) and cost between $100 and $500.
- Natural gas patio heaters are popular for those who want a more permanent heating solution. They are powered by natural gas connected to a gas line. Natural gas patio heaters typically have a heat output of between 25,000 and 50,000 BTUs, costing between $200 and $1,500.
- Electric patio heaters are popular for those who want a more eco-friendly and energy-efficient heating option. They are powered by electricity and typically have a heat output of between 1,000 and 5,000 watts. Electric patio heaters cost between $50 and $500.
- Infrared patio heaters use radiant heat to warm up the surrounding area. They are powered by electricity and typically have a heat output of between 1,500 and 4,000 watts. Infrared patio heaters cost between $100 and $800.
Factors that Affect the Cost of Outdoor Patio Heaters
In addition to the type of patio heater, a few other factors can affect the cost of outdoor patio heaters. These include:
- The size of the patio heater can affect its cost. Larger patio heaters with a higher heat output will generally cost more than smaller ones.
- The brand of the patio heater can also affect its cost. High-end brands will typically be more expensive than budget-friendly brands.
- The design of the patio heater can also affect its cost. More stylish and decorative patio heaters will generally cost more than simple, utilitarian ones.
- Some patio heaters have additional features, such as adjustable heat settings or built-in lighting. These additional features can also affect the cost of the patio heater.
Estimated Cost Ranges for Outdoor Patio Heaters
Based on the factors outlined above, here are some estimated cost ranges for outdoor patio heaters:
- Propane patio heaters: $100-$500
- Natural gas patio heaters: $200-$1,500
- Electric patio heaters: $50-$500
- Infrared patio heaters: $100-$800
It’s important to note that these are only estimated cost ranges, and the actual cost of a patio heater can vary depending on several factors. It’s always a good idea to research and compare prices from different brands and retailers before making a purchase.
How Long Do Outdoor Patio Heaters Last?
The lifespan of an outdoor patio heater can vary depending on several factors, such as the type of fuel used, the frequency of use, and the quality of the unit itself. Here’s a general overview of how long you can expect different types of outdoor patio heaters to last:
- Propane patio heaters can last for several years with proper care and maintenance. However, the unit’s lifespan will largely depend on the quality of the components and how frequently it’s used. A high-quality propane patio heater used regularly and maintained properly can last up to 10 years or more.
- Natural gas patio heaters are typically more durable than propane models since they don’t have tanks that can leak or rust. A natural gas patio heater can last up to 15 years or more with proper care and maintenance.
- Electric patio heaters have a lifespan of around 5 to 10 years, depending on how frequently they’re used and how well they’re maintained. However, the heating element of the electric patio heater may need to be replaced more frequently than the unit itself.
- Infrared patio heaters can last up to 5 years with proper care and maintenance. However, the lifespan of the unit may be shorter if it’s exposed to harsh weather conditions, such as heavy rain or extreme heat.
It’s important to note that the lifespan of an outdoor patio heater can be extended with proper care and maintenance. This includes regular cleaning, checking for damaged or worn parts, and storing the unit in a dry, protected area when not used. Additionally, it’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the safe use and maintenance of the unit.
Outdoor patio heaters are a great investment for anyone who wants to enjoy their outdoor living space or dining area year-round. The cost of outdoor patio heaters can vary widely, depending on the type, size, brand, design, and additional features. By doing your research and comparing prices, you can